Sunday, November 2, 2008

Trick or Treat! (the costumes and decorations)

Now that we had carved and decorated our jack-o'-lanterns, it was time for us to get into costume.

My other granddaughter, Isabel, came over the day before Halloween--she was a cat this year.






Her soon-to-be stepsister, Jordan, came over as well, dressed as a unicorn.
Aren't they sweet?






Tree went as a corporate vampire this year...






Accompanied by Rachele in fairy guise.







And here's Aidan, as Darth Vader. He was heartbroken that he couldn't wear his Spiderman costume anymore (he outgrew it), but it got some use anyway--Iris was Spidergirl, but somehow we didn't manage to get pictures of her on our camera. I'll have to fix that!




Heather went as a leopard. Dave did a pretty good job on her makeup. : )





Here's Heather outside, next to our witch's table. Looks like one of the finished painted pumpkins also made it into the picture. : )





Here's me, in my "enchantress" costume. I really like that cloak! It's actually pretty warm, which means I don't need a coat--a bonus when Halloween night is kind of chilly most years.







And this is me with Heather and Aidan at Mom & Dad's place. It's tradition that every year we go to Dave's folks' so they can get pictures of our costumes. Plus we get as much candy as we want! : )




I almost forgot about my niece, Angela--she was (I think, but don't quote me) a goth angel. Very cute, I think! : )





I didn't get very many pictures of Halloween decorations, simply because there weren't many displays worthy of note. However, there was one place that really did up their yard:















There was another really cool house, with some pretty spooky lighting, and scary...not scarecrows, but I guess you'd call them dummies...they were done up in costumes (one was the guy from Scream, one was Freddy, and I don't remember the other one), but one was an actual person. Last year it was the Scream outfit that had a person inside, this year it was Freddy. Anyhow, generally all is quiet while the kids ring the doorbell and get their candy, but when they leave, the guy in costume jumps at the kids to scare them. Heather remembered the place from last year and wasn't sure she wanted to go up to the door, but it wasn't too bad. : )

This year was a nice change, weather-wise. It really isn't unusual for it to be raining, windy, or snowing on Halloween, and is almost always really cold. We have to find or make costumes that can be worn over cold-weather clothes! But it was in the low 70s early in the day, and it only dropped to the 50s that night. The kids came home with a ton of candy, and combined it with the candy they'd gotten two days before from trick or treating up at the college. I think they've all got 5 or 10 pounds each!

Okay, this has gotten quite long enough. I'll check back in in a day or two--I'll have to tell you about my new job then!

5 comments:

Mouse said...

You all look really good in your costumes. I love your cloak and staff - if I were you I'd use them as often as possible!

Shawna said...

The staff is one I made last year when we were camping. Normally I find a suitable tree and push it down, then make a walking stick from it. Mine are always tall, and Dave teases me about it, because his are quite a bit shorter.

And I love the cloak, but there's really no place to wear it around here that won't have everyone looking at me oddly...

Nettie said...

Ooooh, you look sexy hun! The kids look adorable too. I'm glad you had a great night.

Mouse said...

I wore my black velvet cloak while queueing on the street for the midnight release of the last Harry Potter book. :-)

oppiejoe said...

I Shawna,

Kewl cloak :)


My grandchild is frightened of me and my loud voice quite often *pouts*