Sunday, August 24, 2008

I feel like crap...

I've developed some sort of nasty bug. I have a sore throat, a fever, and a stuffy nose. Normally I don't take cold medicine, but I have been the last two days. Turns out I've been taking double what I'm supposed to, which would explain the upset stomach it's been giving me. *sigh* On top of that, it's "that time" so of course I feel all icky from that, too.

Okay, on to better stuff. Last Saturday was my daughter Heather's birthday. I can't believe she's 10 already! Dave and I bought her a new bike, and we've had a hard time getting her off of it! : ) My mom gave her a copy of Mary Poppins, which she's watched about half a dozen times already. A lady I work with gave her a couple of porcelain dolls--Heather just loves them!

I should probably post some pics, but right now I just don't feel like it. I'll probably get to it this afternoon sometime.

Also, I'm applying for a job with the Census Bureau. The position is Recruiting Assistant, and I would be responsible for making sure that there are enough people to do the census, setting appointments, making sure there are testing facilities available, and handing out flyers at job fairs, etc. There are a couple of other things, too, but that's the bulk of it. I take the test and turn in my application on the 2nd of Sept., and after that, they'll either schedule me for an interview, or not. There's only one of those positions available, and I'm sure there will be a lot of people applying for it, so wish me luck! The nice thing about it is that it pays about $12.50 an hour, and I think I can do some of it from home!

We're getting ready to start the new school year with Heather, and we're trying to think of ways to make book reports more enjoyable for her. She's never had to do an actual report, just sheets every week asking about the characters, settings, stuff like that, which was a lead-in to book reports. She hated doing those, and I can't say that I really blamed her, because it was the same questions every week, although it involved only a little writing every day.

Anyway, the issue isn't reading--she LOVES to read! The issue is getting her to tell someone about the book. I was talking to Dave, and I thought it would be a neat idea for her to start a book review blog. She could do a little bit every day about what she's reading, or just do a review/report when she finished a book. Then, hopefully, she could get responses with constructive criticism on the report. Just an idea I had.

Okay, that's about all I've got for now. I'm going to be helping Dave with the trailer later today so he can go camping with our middle son and Heather this week. I'll be going up next Friday evening. I'll also try to get back on here later today to post some pics, and maybe write the next chapter in my story.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Nettie said...

Good luck with the job! *fingers crossed*

The blog sounds like a really good idea to me. Very clever.

oppiejoe said...

hope things work out for you